Hudson-Ellis Fund at Blue Grass Community Foundation awards $150,000 in Scholarships and Grants in 2022
The Hudson-Ellis Fund at Blue Grass Community Foundation awarded $107,000 in grants to 13 charitable organizations for projects that will improve the quality of life for children and adults in Boyle County. Local organizations applied for funding through the Hudson-Ellis Competitive Grantmaking Program, made possible by the generosity of Lottie B. Ellis and the endowments she established at Blue Grass Community Foundation.
Over the summer, the Hudson-Ellis Scholarship Fund awarded $42,000 in new and renewed college scholarships. Each year, renewable scholarships of $1,500 and $3,000 are awarded to high school seniors from Boyle County High School, Danville High School and Kentucky School for the Deaf.
The 2022 Hudson-Ellis Grant Recipients are:
- Art Center of the Bluegrass received $7,000 to support the Creative Connections exhibit that will showcase the creativity of artists with disabilities.
- Backpack Kids, Inc. received $10,000 to support a food distribution program for Boyle County school children who experience food insecurity.
- Boyle County Schools received $10,000 to provide scholarships for preschool students.
- Camp Horsin’ Around received $6,900 to support replacement of an ADA-compliant chair lift for its swimming pool.
- Centro Latino de Danville, KY received $10,000 to support English classes, tutoring for K-12 students, as well as health services and health education for disadvantaged Boyle County students and families whose primary language is not English.
- Danville/Boyle County Happy Feet Equals Learning Feet received $10,000 to purchase new shoes and socks for underprivileged children in Boyle County.
- Family Services Association of Boyle County received $10,000 for emergency housing assistance for residents of Boyle County.
- GreenHouse17 received $9,000 to support the purchase and installation of a security system for safe exchange and monitored visitations for families in Boyle County.
- Kendyl and Friends Foundation received $3,500 to support the cost of building an all-inclusive baseball field design to provide accessibility for children and adults with disabilities.
- Kentucky School for the Deaf Charitable Foundation received $7,222 to support the expansion of the KSD Library collection.
- New Hope Food Pantry received $10,000 to support the purchase of food that will benefit Boyle County residents in need.
- Special Persons Advocacy Network (SPAN) received $4,000 to support Camp Hope, which provides individuals with developmental disabilities with activities, field trips and community involvement.
- The Presbyterian Church of Danville received $10,000 to support the Soups on Us program that provides weekly box lunches to Boyle County residents in need.
The 2022 Hudson-Ellis Scholarship Recipients are:
- Xavire Adams – Boyle County High School
- Eli Hundley – Boyle County High School
- Tyliah Bradshaw – Danville High School
- Alex Fox – Kentucky School for the Deaf
Lottie Ellis loved Boyle County, and although she passed away in 1999, her passion for her community lives on through the bequest she made to establish two permanent endowment funds at BGCF: the Hudson-Ellis Discretionary Fund and the Hudson-Ellis Scholarship Fund. To date, the Hudson-Ellis Discretionary Fund has made 228 grants, totaling more than $1.7 million, to local nonprofit organizations, and the Scholarship Fund has awarded $485,000 in scholarships to 75 students.
Individuals interested in supporting programming that increases the quality of life for Boyle County residents can make contributions directly to the Hudson-Ellis Funds at Blue Grass Community Foundation.