Central + Appalachia Kentucky’s Experts in Local Philanthropy
Blue Grass Community Foundation is where people go to give to enhance the quality of life in Central and Appalachia Kentucky. We connect charitable individuals, families, businesses, communities and nonprofit organizations with causes they care about to meet community needs and make a difference.
We were founded in 1967 by visionary Lexington couple Irene and C.W. Sulier, who created a permanent endowment for our community with simple aspirations: they hoped their fund would grow to support diverse community needs over time and that others with charitable intent might join them. Their dreams have been more than realized. In the past 50+ years, we have grown from one charitable fund to over 800, each with its own unique charitable purpose. Charitable assets total more than $200 million. Most importantly, the Community Foundation, in partnership with our generous donors, has awarded more than $160 million in grants.
“Most of us are anxious and willing to do something worthwhile, not only while we are living but carrying through after life has ended, for the area in which we have lived happily with our families. The Community Foundation is the ideal vehicle.”C. W. Sulier, Blue Grass Community Foundation Co-Founder
Our mission is to create generous, vibrant and engaged communities throughout Central and Appalachia Kentucky.
To carry out our mission, we:
- Encourage individuals, families, and businesses to partner with us to fulfill their charitable goals
- Make grants to support community issues in Central and Appalachia Kentucky
- Steward more than $200 million in assets across more than 800 charitable funds with the oversight of our Board of Directors
- Convene people to strengthen our community
- Collaborate to develop creative solutions for community needs
- Nurture and strengthen community organizations
- Build endowments to provide for community needs for generations to come
Blue Grass Community Foundation offers you a convenient, simple way to organize your charitable giving so that you can make strategic, informed decisions about where and when you give. Learn more about how we can help amplify your giving.
Blue Grass Community Foundation hosts a network of endowed community funds, each seeking to improve the quality of life in their geography. In partnership with local leaders, these funds work to increase charitable giving and build local charitable resources to impact their region’s greatest needs and opportunities. Learn more about our community funds in Clark, Franklin, Fayette, Harrison, Madison, Magoffin, Rowan and Woodford counties.